At the beginning of the year I decided to start what some people call a “side hustle.” What does that even mean? A new trend for the entrepreneurs at heart is starting a home based business in addition to their full time job. In my case, I started a creative outlet through my blog, that just happens to be income producing.
We are all most familiar with the multi-level marketing companies specializing in a range of products such as jewelry, clothing, supplements and even skin care products. But today I’m sharing with you 5 reasons to start a side hustle in the new year, along with 7 business ideas to get you started.
1. There are many reasons to start a “side hustle” in the new year and the first reason might be obvious, but after all who doesn’t like a little extra income? Maybe you are trying to pay down debt, or you set a goal to travel more – so you start a travel fund. Whatever your reason for the extra income, it’s just nice to have a little extra cash at the end of the month.
2. One of my biggest takeaways from starting my side hustle was all of the new knowledge I had gained while setting up my blog. I have learned everything from how to buy a domain name to writing code. Learning new things keeps your mind active and will even help you in other areas of your life.
3. Starting a side hustle gives you new focus. Whatever your goal is to start the side hustle you now have a new focus on achieving this goal. This new found focus on your side hustle can even be a distraction from negativity in other areas of your life and it can bring you balance.
4. Sometimes we are stuck at work – we have certain policies and procedures that we have to follow or maybe your position simply doesn’t allow creativity. I found that starting my blog gave me the freedom to create my own space, my own business and my own rules. And I kind of like that, it’s a great balance with my day job.
5. It’s easy to get into a rut or bogged down by the day to day monotony of our day jobs. A side hustle expands your horizon and gives you a second outlet to shake things up a bit and even gets you out of your normal routine.
Are you thinking about starting a side hustle in 2019? Here are 7 ideas that might kick start your goals in the New Year!
- Freelance writer, graphic designer or photographer
- Turn your spare bedroom into a rental space with Airbnb
- “VA” Virtual Assistant
- Ride Share, such as Lyft or Uber
- Food Delivery, such as Favor or Uber Eats
- Tutor students
- Start a Blog on your favorite subject …. travel, fashion, lifestyle
Start your side hustle in 2019, comment below and tell me what goals you’ve set for your new business for the new year!
You got this… now go do it. xx Jennifer