A Look Inside The Southfork Ranch From The Dallas TV Series

Southfork Ranch

The “Dallas” TV Series

If you were standing in your kitchen and the iconic Dallas theme song blared from the living room, would you recognize it? I definitely would! As a Texas native, it might have been a mandatory part of my upbringing to watch The Ewing family. If you didn’t have the same experience I had growing up in Texas that’s ok, I’ll catch you up. Dallas was a TV drama series that aired in the late seventies and centered around the feuding, wealthy Texas oil and cattle ranch owning family, the Ewings. Each episode was filled with drama. Think of it as prime-time soap opera… but with a Texas twist.

Dallas Cast | Photo Credit: Wikipedia

The Dallas TV drama series successfully filled our living rooms for 13 seasons, with a total of 356 episodes, and even inspired the spin-off series, Knots Landing. Two reunion shows aired in 1996 and 1998. While the show was never intended to run past episode five, it quickly climbed the ranks and became one of the week’s most-watched tv shows in the Spring of 1978, leading to an official launch of season one. In the summer of 2012, Dallas again returned to Southfork Ranch for TNT’s revamp of the series, they even brought back some of the original cast members and added a few new faces of course.

Southfork Ranch

The Dallas TV show was filmed onsite at a real ranch located north of Dallas in Parker, Texas. The iconic Southfork Ranch features a beautiful white mansion, a pool, and barns, which is now a tourist destination and event center. As the show grew in popularity over the years some scenes were filmed in California on replica sets.

Can you visit the Southfork Ranch?

Absolutely! Southfork Ranch is now a wedding, special event, and meeting venue with over 63,000 square feet of celebration space. If you’re not planning a large gathering, that’s ok, because they also offer a “Day on the Ranch,” including riding lessons. Learn to ride horses on the World’s Most Famous Ranch!

As invited guests to the ranch, during a Chevrolet media event, we were given permission to take photos of the ranch and inside the home. Below you will see a pictorial of our visit to the Southfork Ranch. If you want to learn more about the Ewing family, you can now watch the episodes free on Amazon Prime with commercials.

8 Comments

1. Lora
    May 22, 2022 / 12:20 am

Watching the series now. I was just 9 years old when Dallas started. I was not allowed to watch Dallas until I was 15. It came on every Friday night. When I was 29 I was fortunate enough to see South Fork from the road. I took a lot of pictures. Great series.

2. Frances Lawing
    May 28, 2022 / 12:57 pm

I grew up with this Television series. Loved everyone on the show. Miss those times of watching them and miss the deceased actors who played on here. I am a native Texan and have always loved my ”Dallas.”

3. Theresapowell
    September 10, 2022 / 5:22 pm

Dallas my series since a kiddo .

4. Connie Rolland
    February 22, 2023 / 10:55 am

I watched Dallas from the beginning to the end and I’m watching again as I speak. My favorite show of all times. After Sunday shows went to Friday me and my Grandma watched it every single week. Such good memories. The Best Actors ever. RIP to those that have passed Jock and Miss Ellis and JR. The best actors ever. Someday I will visit Southfork.

5. FRANCES BOATRIGHT
    March 24, 2023 / 9:48 am

I visited there several years ago. I was in Dallas for a convention. A very lovely place.

6. Jennifer (Westlund) Thom
    December 15, 2023 / 5:33 am

I remember well dancing around the living room at 8:00 p.m. on Friday nights to the theme song of Dallas! That was the event that led to bedtime! The show came after Dukes of Hazzard and prior to Falcon Crest- The best night of television during that period of the 80’s! Fast forward to my growing up years began in 1986 when I was 12. Our family moved to Manitowoc Wisconsin.( you will see why this is a “thing” in a moment) I went to high school at Lincoln & graduated with a girl named Emily– I also had her father for physical education two years in a row- he challenged me to” stop killing the grass” in his words and really experience sports! I now am married with a family. My daughter graduated from Lincoln in 2015- she also had “Koz” & took his unit on dance where she partnered with him( Emily & my daughter were both on poms at school) My daughter went on to flight academy & became a flight attendant in Dallas Texas! Emily went on to marry the son of Patrick Duffy & she played a part in the re-boot series of Dallas that began in 2012! Even my son who is still in high school had koz in phys.ed as a substitute in jr.high! In the last year his passing left us at a loss- he raised a great family & talented actress & gave so much to our community- this spring we celebrate the 100th year of our beloved Lincoln high school- all alumni are invited to return- Dallas has been a part of my life in such an unexpected way- Maybe Emily will return for the event- I would love to tell her how proud our community is of her & what an impact her father had on me and my children!

• Dottie
      February 22, 2024 / 10:45 pm

I am watching it right now…. I remember my daughter (only 2 at the time) and I watch the opening credits. I let her stay up long enough just for that. She would recite the names of the characters as they appeared and when it got the to end, she cheerfully said “and Lucyyyyyyyyyy” Great memories

7. Andy Tee Rockett
    January 3, 2024 / 2:44 pm

Oh my God, my mom, my aunts, and grandma LOVED this show. I was 4 yrs old when Dallas began (1978) so I was dragged into it by default. I liked ol’ J.R. as the ultimate badass. I liked Miss Ellie (how could you not?)…And now a weird thing is, I am now a die-hard Cowboys fan, but back then when their field was shown in the show opening I didn’t care. But now looking back on the show opening I DO appreciate the acknowledgement (nod) to my favorite team in the NFL. so now anytime I hear the show theme it ALWAYS makes me think of my Dallas Cowboys…I truly now thank the show and the cast (God rest some of them now) for that. It now means so much to me as an adult then it did back then…It’s funny how your perspectives change as we age…But with that comes great wisdom.