My favorite home décor accessory is a fresh flower arrangement. Nothing brings me more joy than the sight and aroma that a fresh flower arrangement in our home. If you receive a flower arrangement as a gift or maybe it is part of your weekly routine, there are a few ways that you can keep your arrangements looking healthy and extend the overall life of your blooms.
10 Ways to Make Your Fresh Flowers Last Longer
- If you are arranging your flowers, before you place them into a vase, trim each stem at a 45-degree angle
- Remove leaves from each stim that will fall below the waterline in your vase.
- Add flower food to provide additional nutrients to help extend the life of your flowers.
- Change the water in your vase every day.
- Monitor the water level to make sure every stem has plenty to absorb.
- Misting your flowers daily can also help keep the flower arrangement to look hydrated and fresh.
- Keep your flower arrangement away from direct sunlight, drafts, and extreme temperatures. Keeping the flowers in an area that is not too hot or cold can help them last longer.
- Remove wilted flowers as soon as possible will help keep the other flowers in the arrangement looking fresher for longer.
- Keep your floral arrangement away from fruits. Fruit emits a gas called ethylene that can cause flowers to deteriorate faster.
- Check for any insects that may be in the arrangement, this is mostly important if your are purchasing a fresh cut flower arrangement at the farmers market and even at the grocery store. Pests can cause damage to the flowers.